Tax Bills & Payments

The Receiver of Taxes and Assessments collects the General Property Taxes in January. The bills are mailed in December. The tax bill covers the period of January 1st – December 31st of the fiscal year. Payments can be made January 1st –31st without penalty. If they are paid in February, a one percent penalty is imposed, February 1st – 28th (29th). Payments made in March will include a two percent penalty, plus an additional $2.00 late fee (RPTL 987).

  • By NYS Law, no payment can be accepted before January 1st of any year. 
  • During the first week of March a late notice of all unpaid tax bills is sent to the owner, and his/her lender if one is indicated on the bill. This notice is to advise you of the March 31st final date of acceptance at this office. Thereafter, all payments are to be made payable to the Saratoga County Treasurer. You must phone their office prior to sending any payments.
  • If a previous owner was receiving an exemption, an exemption payback amount may also appear on the bill as ‘omitted tax’ which covers the time period that the new property owner enjoyed a previous owner’s exemption to which they were not entitled to. Please contact this office if there are any questions regarding the amounts due.
  • Payments are accepted in person at the Tax Office which is located at the Town Hall. Payments made in person can be made by cash, personal check, money order or credit card check. NO THIRD PARTY CHECKS. Payment may also be made by mail. Make check/money order payable: Karen S. Pingelski, Receiver of Taxes – Send to: 2A Halfmoon Town Plaza, Halfmoon, NY 12065. If your bill has a School Relevy, of which you made payment to the Saratoga County Treasurer after November, PLEASE submit the copy for this office that was sent to you by their office. It will be clearly marked as such.
  • There are 5,897 water accounts (and growing) as of 2/25/2014 that are billed quarterly each year for water usage. Each bill shows a due date and an amount with penalty if the due date is not met. The water bill issued in October MUST BE PAID BY THE DUE DATE. If this due date is not met, the amount shown with penalty will be relieved on the property tax bill. All payments received after the November due date will be returned to the sender as unacceptable.
  • To assist our elderly and disabled residents, third party notification of the tax bill is offered. Property owners who are disabled or 65 years of age or older, and own a one/two family home, may designate an adult consenting third party to receive duplicate copies of tax bills and notices of unpaid taxes. In order to receive this service, one must fill out a third party notification form RP-923, which is available in the Tax Office.
  • Many residents have their taxes escrowed with lending institutions. It is the responsibility of the lender to notify this office prior to the mailing of bills that they will be making payment. Upon receiving a request list from lenders, the records are bank coded for proper handling. It is also their responsibility to notify this office of any additions or deletions. Failure to do so may cause the bill to enter into the penalty period. Many banks contract with Tax Service Organizations, which are agencies that service escrow accounts for banks. These organizations provide us with a listing of their customers and their identifying account numbers. The larger organizations do this primarily by computer disc. In the event that a request list is not received prior to our mailing, the bills are mailed as addressed and becomes the responsibility of the owner to notify his/her lender.
  • All changes of information to a tax bill is done through the Assessor’s Office and until this office receives these changes the tax bill will remain the same. Until he receives a copy of any new deed from the County there will be no change of ownership. If a bill is mailed to a former owner they are suppose to forward the bill to the new owner or return it to this office. This does not always occur. If you are a new owner it would be wise to contact this office if you do not receive your bill by the second week of January, if you have a lender contact them to make certain they requested your bill for payment.