Below you will see some important history, dates, and pictures of the area we call the Town of Halfmoon:
- The Town of Halfmoon had its beginnings in the ancient tract called Halve Maen by the Dutch. This large plain named for its shape was located on the west side of the Hudson River above its confluence with the Mohawk.
- Mohican Indians offered to sell the plain called the Halfmoon Moon in 1664.
- The tract was purchased by Philip Pietersz (Schuyler) and Goosen Gerritsz (Van Schaick) and confirmed in Albany March 24, 1667.
- In 1788 a group of men met to see about forming a town, which would be part of Albany County.
- The first supervisor of the Town of Halfmoon was Jacobus Van Schoonhoven, who was also a State Senator from Halfmoon 1795-1805 and a member of the State Assembly from 1786-1791. He was also a colonel in the Revolutionary War.
- In 1791 The following towns became the mother towns for Saratoga County: Halfmoon, Ballston, Saratoga, and Stillwater.